Become a registered Employer with STEP
This is a job placement/attachment project which seeks to develop or enhance the skill sets of unemployed, academically qualified but unemployed citizens of St Kitts and Nevis, through a 6-month period of internship with established private and public sector entities, hence breaking the cycle where jobseekers are unable to obtain employment without relevant experience.
The program ultimately aims to facilitate the provision of employment opportunities for participants and enable them to contribute to productive socio-economic development. Participants in the program will receive a weekly stipend.
The scheme will also give young people a real opportunity to gain valuable experience to bridge the gap between study and the beginning of their working lives. Interns will receive a weekly allowance. This will be payable for the period of the internship.
What are the benefits of taking on an intern?
By taking part in the STEP – Skills Training Empowerment Program , your organisation will:
- Give an unemployed person the opportunity to gain relevant work experience
- Access potential future employees
- Enhance the performance of your organisation by offering an internship to motivated individuals with enthusiasm and a passion for developing their careers
- Bring in fresh talent, fresh ideas and new thinking
- Access newly trained interns with recent skills sets or skilled workers that add real value to your organisation.
- This programme is open to host organisations in the private, public or community and voluntary sectors.
- The host organisation has responsibility to ensure that the appropriate process is applied to job attachments as follows;
v Intern Supervision
v Approval & Submission of Attendance Forms
v Performance Evaluation Assessments
- Social Security will cover the interns in this project.
- The internship will not be provided to displace an employee. The project administrator reserves the right to review cases where it is reported that this is the case.
The host organisation must be fully compliant with current workplace health and safety, and all other legal requirements under the Labour laws.